Hockey Fashion Top 5: Best & Worst Dressed
Fashion Week will be here sooner than I can get my nails, hair, and makeup done. Fashion Week will be hitting Manhattan the week before training camps begin across the NHL, so I thought I would do a little Best & Worst Dressed of the NHL.
I’m going based on the men I’ve seen in the NHL, so if I haven’t seen you in regular clothes, sigh with relief…you’re not making my list.
5. Henrik Lundqvist (New York Rangers).I like Henrik’s style. Very European, very sexy. He can get away with a lot of stuff, because he’s European. But it helps that Henrik is HOT to the point that it makes you ask who’s wearing who. Is Henrik wearing the clothes or are the clothes wearing Henrik?
4. Mike Ribeiro (Dallas Stars). When I first met Mike, I really loved his look.It was very emo/goth/punk. I liked that take on the dark side. The suit he was wearing had threads sticking out from it. If the shoulder had been torn, it would have added to how hot his look was. Throw in that great head of hair and he had my attention.
3. Mike Green (Washington Capitals). At the NHL Awards, I got to get in and interview Mike Green.I kept looking at him and all of the other Award nominees around me. Out of all the guys in that room, only Mike had the best look. Why? He had the best hair. It was the hair that made the outfit.
2. Sheldon Souray (Edmonton Oilers).I figured out what my fascination is with Sheldon Souray the other day. He reminds me so much of my ex-rockstar bf. Sheldon actually wears clothes that a rockstar would wear…and he definitely works it. You know that sex appeal that rockstars have? Well, Sheldon has the same mojo going for him.
1. Brendan Shanahan (New Jersey Devils).Simply put, every time I see him dressed up, it takes my breath away. He has one over Sheldon, because Brendan can work the clothes and he actually looks sexy in everything he wears. Mind you, I have seen him shirtless, but it’s always that navy blue, white, or dark colors he wears that will stop me dead in my tracks.
[HONORABLE MENTION: Martin Brodeur (New Jersey Devils). Whoever is the tailor for Marty’s suits does a fantastic job on making sure that the Most Winningest Goaltender in the NHL looks sharp every time he heads to the office. Not only do his suits look impeccable, even his jeans and jogging suits look great on him.]
5. Darius Kasparaitis (SKA St. Petersburg, KHL). Now, I’ve probably seen Darius in off-ice clothes more than most people, so I know what his style is. The worst was in Puerto Rico. I don’t have photos of that, but let’s just say…I didn’t like it one bit. He dressed like an old man. Actually, he dressed exactly how my ex-bf used to dress (not the rockstar)…and that guy was 30 years older than me. Darius had changed his look a little bit when he cut off his long locks and opted for a cooler haircut (actually made him look sexier), but his fashion sense…well, I can’t imagine Darius any other way.
4. Jaromir Jagr (Omsk Avangarde, KHL). Ok…so he’s not in the NHL at the moment, but during Jari’s Rangers days he had the most atrocious hair. We’re talking facial hair. Back in the Penguins days, he had the mullet. Jari and hair just doesn’t go well (he’s got great hair, I just wish he knew what to do with it).I used to look at Jaromir and think about how I would love to dress him. Everything he wears is so dull and boring or just atrocious. Memories of bright flourescent orange t-shirts come to mind. But that facial hair…the first time I saw him in the locker room I had to restrain myself from asking him, “What is that crap on your face?”
3. Jeremy Roenick (retired).I don’t understand Jeremy’s look. When I met him a few months ago, I kinda looked at him like…HUH? I expected him to start driving around the hotel on a Harley. The look was very…Idunno…not how I imagined Jeremy Roenick to be off the ice? His look is very middle aged man in his 50s that is very biker dude. The look makes him look 20 years older than he really is. I thought people liked to look younger when they got older. I don’t know…he had me second guessing that whole concept.
2. Brendan Shanahan (New Jersey Devils). Friends don’t let friends take Sean Avery’s fashion advice. Notice that Brendan topped the list for best dressed. When Brendan takes direction from Sean, the sexiness factor has been knocked down ten notches (I believe we’re talking on a scale of 1 to 10 here). See #1 on what happens when you start dressing like Sean Avery.
In order to see what I’m talking about, Patrick McMullan has some photos from a few fashion events starring Sean Avery and Brendan Shanahan: CLICK HERE. Scroll down to the bottom. You’ll see Brendan in the white shirt. Looks good. Qualifies as #1 in the Best Dressed category. But notice that gray vest crops up on him. Ewwww. Scroll down further and you’ll see Sean Avery in the same vest (with Shanny in just the white shirt). Looks like Sean may have offered up his fashion opinion to Brendan and lent Shanny his vest. That vest brought Shanny’s best dressed/sexiest dresser in hockey from a TEN down to a ZERO. I’ve always said that Sean was a bad influence!
1. Sean Avery (New York Rangers). Sean may be a fashionisto, but he is the only one that can pull off the dork couture. Almost every outfit I’ve seen Sean in is not sexy (he’s had his good moments…velvet looks great on him).He embodies that nerdy/dorkish look to the point that I could feasibly see him in “Beauty and the Geek.” I have a feeling that Sean can dress women better than he can men.
I once asked one of Sean’s teammates from the Dallas Stars if Sean offered up any fashion advice to them. His teammate replied, “He tries, but we don’t listen to him.”
Having spent a few years working in the Ralph Lauren trenches, I have always been the go to person on dressing men. I could look at a man and tell him his exact pant size before he could tell me what he was looking for. I have a knack for dressing men based on their personality. I have a feeling that Sean is the same way with women.
If I was dressing Sean, I’d lean away from the dork look. There are other items that I have seen in the couture fashion world that would suit his personality better and make him look hotter than Brendan. Even Gap would look better on Sean. Plaid shorts and vests…ummmm….NO. That’s why he tops my WORST DRESSED list. Plaid on men just ain’t sexy, especially when it reminds me of a little boy’s sailor suit done up in a grown man’s plaid. It just says WRONG all over it.
Who at Vogue allowed him to wear that stuff? Just WRONG.