Friday Loves HOSTESS
If you heard the news today, the Hostess CEO announced on the Today Show, “It’s over.” Hostess is closing its doors forever. Why? Hostess couldn’t come to terms with their striking union workers. Now that puts 18,000 employees on the unemployment line.
In a weird way, that makes the Zombieland apocalypse more real to us than ever before. What is Woody Harrelson going to do now that there are no more Twinkies being made? Luckily for him, he can just hire a chef to make all the Twinkies he wants. There’s a recipe out there for that (just without the eternity shelf life).
For Hostess cakes lovers…I’ve looked around the web and found the recipes to all of the popular Hostess cakes products. Make sure to print these recipes out and store them away in a safe place at home. You never know when the craving will strike.
1. Twinkies. Thank God for the New York Times. Sensing the apocalyptic signs of Hostess saying “it’s over,” they immediately sent out tweets left and right. Have no fear, the New York Times is here!
Here’s their Twinkies recipe. I always wondered what was in the filling that made it so good…it’s Marshmallow Fluff!!!
2. Hostess Cupcakes. This is also a huge favorite of the Hostess brands. Have no fear…the New York Times is here again!
Here’s the Cupcakes recipe.
3. Choco-Bliss & Chocolate Zingers. This is a favorite for many. Choco-Bliss hasn’t been on the market in a very long time. People are lamenting how much they miss their Choco-Bliss days.
No worries, I found the recipe for you. It seems a little complex and a lot of work goes into it, but if you love baking (or know someone who does)…here is your answer to bliss. I believe she even threw in the Zingers recipe for you too. Basically, they’re not too different from each other when you’re making them.
4. Ding Dongs. Chocolate pucks with creme filling more your thing? Well, the Ding Dong recipes have been out there for a while…I just found a site that displays the how to more beautifully.
5. Ho Hos, aka Drake’s Yodels. Why make them when you can just buy the Little Debbie Swiss Miss Rolls? Little Debbie is still in business. But if you just have to make it at home…here’s the recipe.
6. Sno Balls. These things are so disgusting…but there are people that love Sno Balls and crave them (ironically, I only hear this from pregnant women). Never fear…I found the recipe!
7. Donettes. While you can get the powdered donettes just about anywhere else (Entemann’s tastes about the same)…duplicating the chocolate glazed ones can be a little trickier. I found a recipe for the chocolate glazed.
8. Drake’s Devil Dogs. This isn’t too far off from the whoopie pies. I found one recipe that was passed down from a mother-in-law to her daughter-in-law to make her husband a happy man.
So there ya have it Hostess cake lovers. While Twinkies may not have the same shelf life, I’ve always found that the homemade version can sometimes taste better than the stuff you buy at the store.