A New Twist on Tomato Soup
After my surgery in 2008, I had to live on tomato soup and broth for several weeks. Trust me, the tomato soup thing instantly became the…NEVER AGAIN.
Thanks to a recipe I found by Giada de Laurentiis, I’ve fallen in love with tomato soup again. This soup isn’t just tomato paste and water. It has carrots, pasta and cannellini beans in it. Add in a little red pepper, and it instantly becomes a hearty new favorite.
[Also of note, this is a vegan recipe loaded with tons of fiber (especially if you use fiber enriched pasta). I also used crushed red tomatoes instead of marinara sauce.]
Here is Giada’s Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup from the Food Network.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce (recommended: San Marzano brand) [Note: You can use crushed tomatoes]
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup pastina pasta (or any small pasta)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onion, and garlic and saute until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the jar of marinara sauce, chicken broth, cannellini beans, red pepper flakes, pasta, salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve.